It is true that video poker is a game of luck. Yet it is not just sheer luck that makes it interesting. It is as well the skill that one player can develop to increase the odds of winning.
So how do you acquire this skill? Here are some tips for you to be able to get the most out of your video poker game.
1. Start small – While experienced players place high bets, it is usually recommended for starters like you to first gain enough knowledge and experience before placing high bets. Take note that your level increases as you gain experience. So focus first on knowing what to do and how to do them before deciding to raise your bets. In this way, you can lessen the risks of losing your bets.
2. Take your time – video poker is not a race. You should take all the time in the world to study every hand involved. This would ensure that you have done the right decision. Do not pressure yourself with time because time itself is your friend if you get to spend much of it in the game.
3. Jack is the Ace – A lot of players have a misconception that ace is the most important card in the deck. Maybe in some games this is true, but in video poker, the ace is never as good as the Jack. Getting the Jack over an Ace would actually give you better profits than the Ace would. So do not fool yourself with this common fallacy. Let go of your knowledge about other games and stick with the fact that Jack rules the Video Poker game. Don’t draw five cards when you’ve got the Jack.
4. Draw when open-ended – Drawing a card to complete an open-ended straight is a common doing by experienced players. It is indeed a stake but taking the shot is worth it once the straight becomes completed. Nevertheless, this is most preferred only for open-ended straights and not the inside straights. So forget about filling a straight in the middle. It would just be a waste of time. Only draw when it’s open-ended and the odds would be higher for you.
5. Pairs have better odds – One good strategy is keeping pairs than holding high cards because trying for three of a kind would give you better odds. Remember, it is not about having high cards but about having powerful combinations.
6. Bad hands can change – Some players often hesitate to draw five cards when they got a bad hand. You should not. Do not be afraid to change your bad hand by drawing five cards. Who knows? Your opponent might have the same fate.
7. Keep paying hands – Paying hands should be kept unless this hand has a royal flush potential. Royal flush is video poker’s highest paying hand and smaller earnings can be sacrificed, most especially if there are already four cards lined up. It is worth to wait than forming another combination.
If you keep these tips in mind, making the best decision becomes easier, thereby increasing your chances of winning.